Have You Ever Wanted To Represent Canada At A World Championship?
Here’s Your Chance!!
Triathlon is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. In Canada there are over 20,000 Triathletes and worldwide that number is over 6 million with almost 100 national federations.
Every year the International Triathlon Union (ITU) holds Triathlon and Duathlon World Championships. Held in different locations around the globe, the World Championships mark the culmination of the season for both elite athletes and age group competitors. Thousands of age group athletes have travelled to exotic places around the world to compete for their country.
Age Group athletes compete in Triathlon, Sprint Triathlon, Para Triathlon, Long Distance Triathlon, Duathlon and Aquathlon events.
Regardless of your age or ability, if you train hard and have fun, there may be a place for you on the Triathlon Canada Age Group World Championships Team!
The locations of the 2013 events have been announced:
Long Distance (Age Group & Elite), Belfort, France, June 1 – June 2, 2013
Duathlon(Age Group & Elite), Segovia, Spain, TBA
Triathlon/Sprint/Aqua/Para, London, England, TBA
Here’s how you can become a member of a Triathlon Canada Age Group Triathlon World Championship Team (this includes Long-Distance, Sprint, Olympic and Duathlon):
- Make sure that you are a member in good standing of your Provincial Triathlon Association prior to your qualifying race.
- Race at one of the listed qualifying events in 2012 (http://tricanevents.com/events?lang=en&uid=NationalChampionshipsQualifyingEvents) and finish in the appropriate placing. Races, for example, that indicate “1 spot per age group category” means you would have to place 1st in your age group category. Age groups are in 5 year increments with the exception of the 18-19 age group (20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39 ….)
- Note! Because you are qualifying for an event in 2013, your qualification age group is based on your age as of December 31, 2013. All results are therefore age adjusted to reflect your age as of December 31, 2013. Should this mean you will be moving up an age group your application will be evaluated based on the adjusted age group results.
- If you completed the qualifying race in the appropriate placing* go to www.triathloncanada.com and register for your spot on the 2013 team by completing the on-line registration within the following timelines – see below.
*Didn’t finish in the appropriate place?! Don’t worry! There is a good possibility you can still get a spot on the team! Go on-line and complete the registration process to let Triathlon Canada know you are interested in being part of the 2013 Age Group Triathlon World Championship Team. If the spot you’re vying for does not get “claimed” – the spot is offered to next athlete who is interested. This is known as “Roll-Down”.
Registration Timeline & Fees
- Apply One Week after your qualifying race: Team Fee $150, Uniform Fee $275. Strongly Recommended!
- Apply by September 30th, 2012: Team Fee $175, Uniform Fee $275. (Should the qualifying spot remain available)
- ABSOLUTE DEADLINE! By the First Business Day of 2013 (January 3, 2013): Team fee $200, Uniform Fee $275. (Should the qualifying spot remain available) After this date, you can no longer apply for spot using a qualifying event – only Special Applications or Charity Spot Applications will be accepted. For more details, visit www.triathloncanada.com, under “How to Qualify” in the Age Group Teams section.
All applicants will be notified, within 3 weeks of their qualifying race, of their acceptance on the team.
Please note that to process your application you must pay the Team Fee and the Uniform Fee. You will also be required to approve a race fee of up to $400. The race fee will not be charge until the race fees are announced in 2013. Should your application be denied you will receive a refund of 100% of the fees. Once you have been accepted on the team your Team Fee becomes non-refundable. Team memberships are not transferable to subsequent years.
To avoid any disappointment, we strongly advise any athlete that automatically obtains a spot to claim their spot within the week.
In parallel, an athlete who has just missed out, we strongly advise them to complete the registration process within the week for a “roll-down” spot.
If you have any questions or require further clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me
National Programs & Age Group Teams Coordinator
106 - 3 Concorde Gate
Phone: (416) 426 7089
Fax: (416) 426-7294