The Alberta Triathlon Association's sanction ensures that every race has met our safety standards and is a fair competition. Any race director wishing to sanction an event through the Alberta Triathlon Association must have a valid ATA membership and must complete and submit an online application located at www.sanctionabtri.com. In the Application, you are asked for specific information including:
Event risks are evaluated based on this information. If necessary, adjustments are suggested. Once an event is sanctioned, it is insured under the ATA’s policy as are all of its participants.
Why sanction your race with the ATA?
- Everyone participating in the event (whether or a member or an individual with a day of race licence) is covered up to $5,000,000 for liability
- All participants, volunteers, officials, race staff and sponsors are insured
- Have access to ATA Technical Delegates to officiate at your event
- Races undergo a risk assessment by the ATA and meet the required safety standards
- Advertising your event on the ATA website and across social media
- Option to obtain necessary advice from ATA representatives if you are a first time Race Director
- Race formats and distances conform to Triathlon Canada’s Youth Guidelines and are consistent with Canada’s Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) Strategy
- That the event is safe and fair for everyone involved
Other Reasons Why ATA Sanctioning is important
- Only sanctioned events have access to the ATA's trained and professional Officials
- Only sanctioned events are recognized by Triathlon Canada and the ITU
- Only sanctioned events can host Provincial, National and International Title Events
- Only ATA-sanctioned events can host National Team Qualifying Races or secure Qualifying Spots for Alberta’s athletes
- Technical Support for new and existing events – If you need help, the ATA is there to help you
The Race Sanctioning Guidelines can be found here on our website.